Prot. n° 95-2002

SUBJECT:  Death of Fr. Serafin Micic,TOR
(Use Browser back arrow to exit)


Fr. Serafin Micic, TOR
of the Province of St.Jerome, Croatia

        In the Fraternity of St. Michael at Zadar, on 22 November 2002, Fr. Serafin Micic,TOR died at the age of 90, 72 years a religious and 65 years priest.

          He was born at Puntamica (Zadar) on 16 September 1913 of  Joseph and Tomica Grubisic. Entered the Order in 1924 at Skoljic where he did his preliminary studies. He made his novitiate at Krk and took temporary vows on 30 August 1930 and studied Philosophy and theology at Zagreb. He made his solemn vows at Glavotok on 17 February 1937. Fr. Serafin was ordained priest on 27 June 1937 at Zagreb by Archbishop Beato Alojzije Stepinac.

          As a religious he lived in different fraternities at Skoljic, Hercegnovi (as school teacher), Zagreb ( as Master of  Clerics) and at Ogulin (as director the Boarding School). From 1950 - 1968 he taught Croatian language at the diocesan Minor Seminary in Pazin ( Istria). From 1968 he was at St. Michael's in Zadar till his death. While there he was able to witness the death of his sister.

          Fr. Serafin has written mainly two poems: Aureole and Zvjezdane Vigilije.

He was a serene man and was very modest and courteous to others as a Franciscan.

          The funeral rites were presided over by Mons.Ivan Prenda, the Archbishop of Zadar, on 25 November 2002, in the city cemetery. Many friars of the Province, priests of the diocese, religious and faithful participated. The last rites were held at the tomb of the friars.

          Later a memorial Eucharist was celebrated at the chapel of the fraternity of St.Michael presided over by Fr. Petar Grubisic, the Provincial and about thirty priests concelebrated.

          May the Lord give him eternal peace !

          Please satisfy the suffrages for the eternal repose of our Brother Micic as prescribed by the General Statutes: 61-67.

Fr. Corpus Izquierdo, TOR
Secretary General

(Use Browser back arrow to exit)

Prot. N° 21-2003

Subject: Death of Fr. Pasqual Redovnikovic
of the Province of St. Jerome, Croatia
(Use Browser back arrow to exit)

February 2, 2003

Bro. Pasqual Redovnikovic, TOR
Province of St. Jerome, Croatia

After 49 years of religious life our friend and brother, Bro. Pasqual Redovnikovic TOR died at the age of 79 years on February 2, 2003, in the TOR friary in Krk and is now with our heavenly Father.

Bro. Pasqual was born in Camden, New Jersey, in the United States on May 11, 1924, to Zarko Redovnikovic and Stana Nenadovic. After elementary school and three years of vocational school, he assisted his father selling fruit and fish. He entered a Franciscan community in Graymoor, New York, when he was 20 years old. He returned home after three years of formation with the community. During this time he got to know the TOR friars in the Croatian commissariat and entered its novitiate in Washington, DC, in 1953. Pasqual professed Simple Vows on October 8, 1954, and his Solemn Vows on October 9, 1957. Until 1975 he worked as a cook in the Croatian friary in Washington, DC. He was then transferred to Pittsburgh until 1980 and then to McKeesport, Pennsylvania, until 1994.

In 1990 Bro Pasqual suffered a heart attack and was taken to the hospital where he was able to make a good recovery. He was transferred to the friary in Odra, Croatia, in 1994 where his health continued to improve. When the friary in Odra underwent renovations Bro. Pasqual was transferred to the friary in Krk. On February 2, 2003, he was embraced by Sister Death.

Bro. Pasqual was a humble and joyful Franciscan. He was a very good and kind man, always ready to sing or to take part in jokes and banter with the friars. It would be very safe to say that he was a true follower of the Poverello from Assisi.

The funeral mass fro Bro. Pasqual was celebrated by Bishop Valter Zupan, the Bishop of Krk, in the church of St. Francis. The minister provincial, Fr. Petar Grubisic, and many other Franciscans and secular priests participated as concelebrants. At the end of the celebration, the remains of Bro. Pasqual were tranferred to Glavotok and buried in the tomb of the friars.

Rest in peace Bro Pasqual!

Please apply the prescribed suffrages according to articles 61-67 of the General Statutes for the repose of the soul of Bro. Pasqual.


Fr. Corpus Izquierdo, TOR
Segretario Generale

(Use Browser back arrow to exit)

| Exit |


Subject: Death of Father Martin A. Brady, T.O.R.
of the Province of the Immaculate Conception, USA

(Use Browser back arrow to exit)

On 19 March 2003, at the age of seventy-two, our brother

Martin Alfred Brady, T.O.R.

MARTIN.jpg (2475 bytes)

died on the Solemnity of Saint Joseph at Bert Fish Medical Center, New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

Father Martin was one of nine children born to Peter and Marjorie (Drew) Brady, Sr. He was born in Kingston, Pennsylvania on March 2, 1931. He was predeceased by his parents and brothers: Edward, Peter, Francis, and William, as well as his two sisters, Marjorie and Helen. Father Martin is survived by his Franciscan Community, his two brothers: John of Mount Vernon, New York, and Charles of Tacoma, Washington, and countless students who benefited from his ministry as an educator.

Father Martin entered the Franciscan Community Novitiate at Highland Hall in Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania on September 2, 1950. He professed his first vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience on September 3, 1951. On September 4, 1954, he made his profession of solemn vows. On December 8, 1956, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, he was ordained as a priest at Trinity College in Washington, D.C. by Most Reverend John McNamara.

Father Martin received a fine education and used those gifts well. He graduated with a BA in philosophy in 1953 and an STL in Theology in 1957 from Catholic University of America. He continued his studies at Duquesne University graduating in 1958 with a M.Ed. in Administration. Following his studies at Duquesne Father Martin was asked to offer his gifts first, as an instructor and chaplain in Little Falls, Minnesota (1958 – 1960), as Rector of Highland Hall, Altoona, Pennsylvania (1960 – 1965), and as an instructor at Bishop Carroll High School in Ebensburg, Pennsylvania (1965 – 1966). After completing his doctoral work in 1968 at Fordham University, Father Martin’s talent as a teacher and administrator was called upon when he was appointed headmaster and Superior at James Barry-Robinson High School in Norfolk, Virginia (1968- 1972) and as an instructor again at Bishop Carroll High School from 1974 – 1981 and Bishop Guilfoyle High School from 1982 – 1986.

Teaching was Father Martin’s great love. His students remember him as a tough, yet fair teacher. The friendships his former students’ maintained with him over the years spoke eloquently of their gratitude for his ministry. Father Martin also had an opportunity to exercise his priestly ministry as an Associate Pastor at Saint Anthony parish in Johnstown, Pennsylvania from 1972 – 1974, as Pastor at Fort Ashby, West Virginia (1986 – 1990) and in Stonewood, West Virginia (1990 – 1997). In his years of retirement Father Martin also often offered his assistance at needy parishes in the Diocese of Orlando. Martin served his Franciscan community in many ways; first, with a good dose of Irish wit and the ability to weave a good story. (He prided himself on not needing a microphone to project his voice.) Behind that booming voice, though, was a tender, compassionate soul. Second, the Community utilized Father Martin’s administrative skills when they asked him to serve as Director of, what was then called, the Purgatorial Society from 1982 – 1986.

Father Martin was on vacation in Florida when his health declined. He contracted viral encephalitis and died from complications related to that disease. The friars were with him throughout his last days and Brother Regis Leonard, T.O.R. was with Father Martin during his last hours. While saddened by his death and many years of poor health, we are very grateful for his life, his ministry and his wit.

Mass of Christian Burial

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Altoona, Pennsylvania
806 11th Street

Wednesday, March 26th 10:00 AM.


Steven’s Mortuary,
1421 8th Avenue
Altoona, Pennsylvania


Tuesday, March 25th 2:00 – 4:00 and 7:00 – 9:00 PM. Vigil Prayer Service 3:30 on Tuesday.

Interment The Community Cemetery at Kladder Station.
Lunch will be served at the Motherhouse of Saint Bernardine’s.

General Statutes

64. §1 For the soul of every deceased friar, each priest of the Province to whom the deceased belongs celebrates one Mass. In other Provinces, one Mass for the deceased is celebrated in each fraternity.

66. Besides the suffrages previously mentioned all the friars shall pray the Liturgy of the Hours as a suffrage on the indicated days.

In Christ, 


Fr. Corpus Izquierdo, TOR
Segretario Generale

(Use Browser back arrow to exit)

| Exit |



Subject: Death of Father Domenic Aversa, T.O.R.
of the Province of the Immaculate Conception, USA

Prot. N° 43-2003

(Use Browser back arrow to exit)

On April 19,  2003, at the age of eighty, our brother

Fr. Domenick Aversa, T.O.R.

wpe1.jpg (3389 bytes)

Father Domenic Aversa, T.O.R., 80, died at Altoona General Hospital in Altoona, Pa on April 19, 2003. He was born in Calabria, Italy on November 11, 1922, the son of Gregorio and Angelina (Talotta) Aversa. Father Domenic entered the Franciscan Community in Hollidaysburg, PA on July 14, 1951. He professed his vows of poverty, chastity and obedience on July 15, 1952. On July 16, 1956 he made his profession of solemn vows. He continued his studies for the priesthood at both St Francis College and St. Francis Seminary in Loretto, PA. He was ordained to the priesthood on May 23, 1959. Among Father Domenic's many assignments, in more recent years, he served as pastor at St Joseph Church in Delano, MN from 1978-1981, as assistant pastor at St. Patrick Church in Inver Grove Heights, MN and as Administrator at St. Michael Church in West Salisbury, PA. During his years of retirement he had been living at St. Joseph Friary in Hollidaysburg and celebrated Mass on a regular basis at St. Leonard Home, also in Hollidaysburg.

He is predeceased by his parents and brother, Louis. He is survived by his Franciscan Community and his sister Mary Girolami. Viewing will take place at St. Bernardine Monastery at Kladder Station in Hollidaysburg on Wednesday, April 23, from 2 to 4 PM and from 7 to 9 PM. The Vigil Service will be at 8 PM at the Monastery. The Funeral Mass will be celebrated at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in Altoona, PA on Thursday, April 24 at 10:30 AM followed by Interment at the Community Cemetery at Kladder Station. Arrangements were made by the Santella Funeral Home of Altoona.

| Exit |



Prot. N° 54-2003



Province of the Immaculate Conception (Spain)

On Friday morning, the 9th of May 2003 at the Portiuncula, Fr. Juan Server serenely passed away at the age of 96 ( 76 years in the religious life and 71 in the priestly ministry).

Fr. Juan was born on the 21st of March 1907 in Sa Pobla (Mallorca). Son of Antonio Server Cladera (+1920) and Juana Bennassar Nicolau (+1945).

After completing his degree in human sciences in the convents of Llucmajor, Artā and Palma in Mallorca, he received the Franciscan habit on the 26th of August 1923 in the convent of St. Anthony of Padua in Artā (Mallorca), where he also made his temporary vows on the 6th of October 1924 after his novitiate formation. He then proceeded to study philosophy in the convents of the Portiuncula and Artā. He did his theology in the convent of St. Francis of Palma where he made his solemn profession on the 20th of May 1928. In this same town, he also received his minor orders, he was made sub-deacon and deacon between the years 1927 – 1930. On the 31st of August 1930, he was ordained priest at Palma by Mons. Josč Miralles Sbert, Bishop of Mallorca.

After the priestly ordination, Fr. Juan Server remained in the convent of St. Francis of Palma till 1934. After some years in the Portiuncula and in St. Francis at Inca, where he dedicated his time to teaching, he was transfered to the new foundation of the convent of Quintanar of the Orden (Toledo).

After obtaining a baccalaureate on the 9th of May 1942, Fr. Juan was trained as a Grade One Teacher in the Teachers’ Training College of Palma where he obtained a certificate in 1951. He was nominated as the Local Minister of the New Convent of Los Dolores at Quintanar of Orden (Toledo). Together with Fr. Pedro Salas TOR, Fr. Juan is considered one of the founders of the aforementioned convent. After some weeks Fr. Pedro became less frequent and Fr. Juan remained alone for the whole academic year 1942-1943. This old convent of the friars minor was abandoned and almost in ruins. Fr. Juan with very little means and a lot of difficulty started to reconstruct it. The following triennium (1943-1946; 1946-1949), he was entrusted with the responsibility of the administration of the convent. From 1949-1952, he also served as bursar.

In October 1953, Fr. Juan was transferred to St. Francis Parish in Madrid (Puente Vallecas) and in the absence of Fr. Gabriel Tous Sancho TOR in 1953, Fr. Juan moved to St. Diego of Alcalā Parish in Madrid as Vicar. In this Parish he acted as administrator from 1955-1958 and 1961-1964.

In the early 70s he was charged with taking care of the affairs related to the property of St. Diego and also with the foundation and creation of the adjacent college- Raimondo Lulio in Madrid.

In 1964 Fr. Juan was again appointed as Local Minister at N.S of Los Dolores at Quintanar of the Orden (Toledo).

The Chapter of 1967 again appointed him as Vicar in St. Diego of Alcalā Parish; during this time he assisted with much enthusiasm and dedication the Catholic Action Group, Legion of Mary, a medical dispensary, the visit of the sick etc. He also disposed and dedicated himself in a distinguished way to the administration of the sacrament of reconciliation.

From 1967-1970, Fr. Juan became the representative of the Province in the Superior Council of the Missions based at Madrid. From 1970-73 he was the representative of the Province in the CONFER.

During the Chapter of 1989 he was nominated as Vicar of the Fraternity TOR of St. Diego and in 1997 he was liberated from all the functions by the Chapter and charged to bear fruits of the merited years of his retirement.

In the spring of 2001 due to ill health and old age, he was moved to the Fraternity of the Portiuncula (Mallorca) for better medical assistance. During these two years of permanent residence in the Portiuncula, he was an example of resignation, good cheer and attraction to all the brothers who visited him. In the Portiuncula during the last weeks, he slowly passed away till the morning of 9th May when he was called to rest by sister death.

The funeral rites were celebrated the same day. He was thus interred in the cemetery of Palma in Mallorca. On Saturday the 10th of May, he was entombed in the chapel of the Franciscans TOR in the municipal cemetery of Palma in Mallorca.

Tuesday 13th May 2003, Mass was celebrated for the repose of his soul in the Church of the Portiuncula presided over by the Provincial Minister, Fr. Bernat Nebot TOR with numerous celebrants, religious of the TOR Fraternity in Mallorca and acquaintances. On Friday the 16th of May 2003, another Mass was celebrated in the St. Anthony Abbey (Parish) at Sa Pobla, his home-town presided over by Fr. Tomeu Sans TOR, the local Minister of the Portiuncula and the person in charge of the provincial infirmary.

Please apply the prescribed suffrages according to articles 61-67 of the General Statutes for the repose of the soul of Fr. Juan Server Bennassar.



Fr. Corpus Izquierdo, TOR
Segretario Generale

| Exit |



Prot. N° 65-2003

Province of St. Joseph’s Vice Province (South Africa)



Province of St. Joseph’s Vice Province (South Africa


At mid-day 28th May 2003 Brother Valentine Joseph Wela passed away at the age of 92 at Kwa St. Joseph Friary, Mabheleni, Diocese of Marrianhill. His confreres were at his bedside when he breathed his last.

Brother Valentine was born at Ngilanyani, Umkababa, Kwa Zulu Natal, in April 14, 1911, son of Aloys Wela and Christina Kati. He had the training of Carpentry when he came as candidate in 1947 at Kwa St. Joseph to join the F.F.J. (Franciscan Familiars of St. Joseph), which later was amalgamated with the Third Order Regular in 1982. He made his temporary vows at Kwa St. Joseph on Feb 2, 1951. His first field of Mission was at St. Lourdes, presently in Umzimkulu Diocese, where he was in charge of the local farm.

He put his heart and soul in all the tasks given to him. He was later assigned to Kwa St. Joseph Friary and then to Oetting Mission. He was keen to establish carpentry at all the places to train the locals. He moved from place to place to serve his community and people in the spirit of Religious Obedience. He was never idle. His superiors often had to force him to take rest. When he was asked to retire he was still found sharpening his chisels for wood joining, the work he loved most.

He lived a full Religious, Fraternal, and Social life. He had a smile on his face even when things were hard. Those who were associated with him will miss him for his warmth of affection, spirit of simplicity and the zeal of Religious life.

Nobody could tell that his age was 92. After celebrating his 92nd Birthday, he joined Father Anthony Kudupadam, provincial, to Phoenix for Holy Week and Easter. He suffered a massive stroke on the day after Easter leaving him paralysed on the right side from the neck down. Father Anthony anointed him before he was taken to Mahatma Gandhi Hospital in Phoenix. The doctors didn’t want to do surgery on him considering his advanced age. They transferred him to Clairwood Hospital in Durban for nursing care and therapy. Though he was not responding too well to the treatment he was discharged and was taken back to Kwa St. Joseph on the 24th May. Four days later on the eve of the Feast of Ascension Thursday the end, Sister Death, came to the faithful and valiant troubadour and follower of Saint Francis.

Mass of Christian Burial is scheduled for 7th June at St. Patrick’s Church, Mabheleni with Father Provincial as main celebrant. His burial will take place in the community cemetery at Kwa St. Joseph.

Please apply the prescribed suffrages according to articles 61-67 of the General Statutes for the repose of the soul of BROTHER VALENTINE JOSEPH WELA, T.O.R.


Fr. Corpus Izquierdo, TOR
Secretary General

| Exit |


(Use Browser back arrow to exit)

Subject: Death of Brother Francis Regis J. Leonard, T.O.R.
of the Province of the Immaculate Conception, USA
On 19 June 2003, at the age of sixty-nine, our brother,


Bro. Regis J. Leonard, T.O.R.

died unexpectedly at Villa Madonna Friary, New Smyrna Beach, Florida. The cause of death was determined to be a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurism. Mercifully, death came quickly. The unexpectedness of his death at a relatively young age offers a reminder to all of us that "we know neither the day nor the hour".

Brother Regis was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, on November 6, 1933. He was predeceased by his parents, James T. and Mary Ellen (Eves) Leonard and his older brother, James, Jr. Brother Regis is survived by members of his Franciscan Community and the many people he nursed back to health during his years of ministry.

Brother Regis entered the Third Order Regular Franciscan Community on September 8, 1948 at Highland Hall in Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania. He was fifteen years of age at the time. Prior to high school he spent six years at Nazareth Academy in South Boston and two years at Epiphany grade school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He professed his temporary vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience with the Province of the Immaculate Conception on September 2, 1950. On December 8, 1954, he made his profession of solemn vows at Highland Hall. Tragically, his father was killed in a car accident three weeks later.

Brother Regis showed an aptitude for music. He was sent to Saint John’s University in Collegeville, Minnesota, to study organ, choir training and Gregorian chant. He returned to Highland Hall where he taught these disciplines to the friars who came after him. In 1960 Brother Regis recognized that changes were on the horizon in liturgy and church music. He was asked by the Provincial to study nursing. He agreed, reluctantly, as he did not believe he had the gifts necessary to minister in the nursing field. In 1962 Brother Regis graduated with an L.P.N. degree. Three years later he received his R.N. degree from Saint Gabriel’s School of Nursing in Little Falls, Minnesota. He was the only male nurse to go through that program. Brother Regis specialized in emergency room care. Much to his surprise, he discovered that he not only had an aptitude for nursing but also a passion for it.

Brother Regis faithfully served for many years in various healthcare settings. Among his varied assignments he served at hospitals in the Norfolk/ Virginia Beach area. While living at Saint Thomas More friary he served as nursing supervisor at Doctor’s Hospital of Prince George County. Later he accepted a position in nursing with the Healthcare for the Homeless program in the Washington, D.C. area. This was a pilot program for hospice patients in advanced stages of AIDS and AIDS- related illness. Brother Regis spent four years as nursing coordinator with the Servants of the Paraclete in Jemez Springs, New Mexico and three years as a Night Supervisor at West Mesa Health Clinic in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

As Brother Regis moved into his years of retirement from active ministry his gifts were often employed in service of the local communities to which he was assigned. In 1994 he helped to establish a new community in Key West and served as econome. In 1999 he moved to Saint Lawrence Friary in Bushnell, Florida. Finally, in March 2002, he was assigned as local minister and econome at Villa Madonna, a house of retirement in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

Brother Regis was affectionately known among his nursing co-workers and those he served as "the Bro." He was passionate about healthcare for elderly friars and voiced these concerns during the four years he served on the Provincial Council from 1998 – 2002. True to his Irish heritage, he endeared himself among friends and friars with his quick wit and regaled the community with his stories. He made a great chicken soup and was dishing out "soup for the soul" long before the books by Jack Canfield became popular. Brother Regis’ death will be a great loss for the many people who loved him.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at Saint Bernardine Monastery on Thursday, June 26th at 10:00 a.m. Visitation will take place at Saint Bernardine Monastery on Wednesday, June 25th from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. On that same day a prayer service will be held at 8:00 p.m. Interment will be in the Community Cemetery at Kladder Station.

General Statutes

64. §1 For the soul of every deceased friar, each priest of the Province to whom the deceased belongs celebrates one Mass. In other Provinces, one Mass for the deceased is celebrated in each fraternity.

66. Besides the suffrages previously mentioned all the friars shall pray the Liturgy of the Hours as a suffrage on the indicated days.

In Christ,

Br. David Liedl, T.O.R.
Provincial Secretary

| Exit |



Prot. N. 84-2003

Rome, September 29, 2003.
Subject: Communication of the death of Bro. Giovanni Laudicina, TOR
Province of Sts. Joachim and Anne, Sicily–Italy.

After 64 years of religious life, our brother


died after a long illness at the age of 91 at our friary of St. Caterina a Chiaia in Naples on the evening of September 15, 2003.

Bro. Giovanni was born in Marsala (TP) to Luigi and Catalan Giuseppa on November 29, 1912. After serving as a soldier for many years in the Royal Marines, he entered the Order on October 20, 1937. In 1938 he entered the TOR novitiate in Sciacca and made his simple profession on April 2, 1939. Bro. Giovanni made his solemn profession on April 16th, 1942, at our friary in Messina. He continued his ministry in friaries in Palermo, Sciacca, Messina, and Corleone. Most of his ministry was rendered in Naples, where he was stationed for the better part of his religious life. He also faithfully served the Province for many years as an advocate for the young clerics and postulants and as a vocation promoter.

In 1969 Bro. Giovanni was transferred after the Provincial Congregation to Calvaruso, where he remained for one year. He then returned to Naples in order to help Fr. Rosario Pirrello, the parish priest of the TOR parish in the city. He returned to the friary in Calvaruso on May 4, 1972. He was transferred to Rome in 1972 and then to Naples in 1986, where he remained until his death.

Bro Giovanni lived as a pious religious with healthy mind and body. He was very generous, joyful amiable, and good to everyone he met. He lived his consecrated life with a great spirit and with a tremendous love for God, his brothers, the Province, and the Order. During his long illness Bro. Giovanni accepted his condition with serenity and truly as the Will of God. During his final days he was assisted with true brotherly love and concern by our friars at St. Caterina and by a group of volunteers from the local SFO fraternity. Bro. Giovanni’s funeral took place on September 17, 2003, the Feast of the Stigmata of our Seraphic Father St. Francis. He was buried in the cemetery in Naples.

May he rest in the peace of the Lord!

Fr. Guiseppe Tutino, TOR
Provincial Secretary

Please apply the suffrages for his eternal rest as prescribed by the General Statutes: 61 - 67.


Fr. Corpus Izquierdo, TOR
Secretary General

| Exit |


Prot. N° 87-2003

Rome, October 6, 2003

Subject: Communication of the death of:

Bro. Bartomeu Rubert Roca TOR
Province of the Immaculate Conception, Spain

Bro. Bartomeu Rubert Roca, TOR

Bro. Bartomeu was born in Genova in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, on November 22, 1939. He was the son of Miquel Rubert Esterlich (+1968) and of Atonia Roca Salvā                                              (+1980).

He entered the diocesan Seminary of Mallorca in 1953, where he remained for a short time while he was involved in the study of humanities. On October 4, 1954, the Feast of St. Francis, Bro. Bartomeu entered the Seraphic Seminary "The Porciuncula," where he continued his studies. After his investiture on July 20, 1958, he entered the novitiate. The year was interrupted due to a bout of polio that left his legs slightly paralysed. Persevering in his vocational desire to devote himself to the Lord as a Franciscan, he returned to "The Porciuncula," where he helped the friars at the Minor Seminary. On January 1968 he received a dispensation to begin the novitiate, now reduced to six months.. Bro. Bartomeu made his Simple Profession on November 13, 1968, into the hands of Fr. Miquel Pasqual, the Minister Provincial. He was received into Solemn Profession by Fr. Miquel Tous, the Minister Provincial, on October 4, 1972.

Bro. Bartomeu, spent four years at the Sanctuary of Carita (1989-1993), and then lived for 45 years at "The Porciuncula." From 1960 to 1970 he taught boys in the first and second grades, organized tournaments of basketball and football, gave his time to the community as a driver, sold material for the school, and supervised the the cafeteria. His life was enriched by several generations of pupils. Another area that he looked after was the maintenance of the vehicles of the community. It was well known that he loved and enjoyed this work.

During the years when the polio forced him to make use of a wheelchair, he continued to take care of the maintenance and security of the museum. During this time he collaborated with the founder of the museum, Fr. Joan Llabrés, serving him as driver – especially during the archaeological excavations that he had begun with his own initiative. Both these friars undertook the procurement of items for the museum in Mallorca and collected many pieces of popular ethnic artefacts that can still be found in the Museum.

On July 10, 2003, Bro. Bartomeu was admitted to the Policlinico for special care due to serious infections in his back. When it seemed that he improved he was able to leave the hospital, but, due in part to another serious infection, he passed away on October 6, 2003. Bro. Bartomeu´s suffering is now finished. We believe and are confident that the good and merciful heavenly Father has granted him eternal rest, peace, and the comfort which he was not able to fully enjoy in this life. Our brother died at age of 63 and after 35 years in religious life.

May he rest in the peace of the Lord.

We request the suffrages for his eternal rest, as prescribed in the General Statutes: 61 – 67, be celebrated.


General secretary

| Exit |



Prot. Nē 5/2004

Rome, January 14, 2004

Subject: Notification of the death of Fr. Tarzicije Bugarija, TOR,
                        of the Province of St. Jerome, Croatia

At the age of 64, after 45 years of religious life, and 37 years of priestly service, our brother,

Fr. Tarzicije Bugarija, TOR

died at the friary of St. Michael in Zadar on December 26, 2003.

Fr. Tarzicije was born in Bibinje, Zadar, on August 27, 1970, to Marko and Anka Šimunic. After elementary school he entered the Order in 1951 in Zadar where he continued his studies in high school. He made his novitiate in Krk where he also professed his first vows on July 27, 1958. He studied philosophy and theology in Zagreb. After approximately two years of military service (1960-1962) he professed Solemn Vows in Krk on August 17, 1963. Fr. Tarzicije was ordained to the priesthood on November 27, 1966, in Zagreb by Bishop Franjo Kuharic.

The pastoral ministry of Fr. Tarzicije began in 1967 in the friary of St. Joseph in Split. After two years he was transferred to Beliš?e as parochial vicar. He was a great assistance in the construction of the new parish church. He returned to Split in 1974 as parochial vicar. After two years he was named pastor at Tounj near Ogulin, where he was once again involved in the restoration of the church. During the Provincial Congregation of 1980 Fr. Tarzicije was named Local Minister of the friary of St. Francis in Krk. In the Provincial Congregation of 1984 he was made "ad nutum provincialis." After two years he was transferred to the friary of St. Francis in Rijeka. During the Provincial Congregation of 1988 he was elected Local Minister of the friary of St. Jerome in Martinšcica and pastor of the parish of St. Martin. He restored the friary, the parish church, and also some of the chapels in the parish. He also organized the 100th anniversary celebration of the parish. In 1991 he spent some time in the hospital recovering from a stroke. However, in the Provincial Congregation of 1993, Fr. Tarzicije was named Local Minister in Ogulin. Since 1997 he has lived in the friary of St. Michael in Zadar and until 2002 he was able to serve as chaplain in the hospital in the same city. During the last year his health started to decline and in October he had an operation in the hospital in Zagreb to replace some of the arteries surrounding his heart. For a time it seemed as though he was getting better and he was even able to hear confessions for the Solemnity of Christmas. Unfortunately, he took a turn for the worse on the Feast of St. Stephen met Sister Death.

Fr. Tarzicije was a very private man and did not talk much about his health problems. He was always willing to go wherever his superiors asked him to go. We are certain that the Lord will welcome this faithful servant into His reign.

A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated for Fr. Tarzicije by Bishop Ivan Prenda, the Archbishop of Zadar, on December 29, 2004, in the cemetery of the city. Many of our friars, diocesan priests, religious sisters, and numerous faithful friends were present for the celebration. His mortal remains were placed in the tomb of the friars in the cemetary.

After the internment a Mass was celebrated in the church of the friary of St. Michael by the Minister Provincial, Fr. Petar Grubisic, for the repose of the soul of Fr. Tarzicije. The Minister Provincial was joined by more than twenty friars for this celebration.

May the Lord give him peace.

Please apply the prescribed suffrages according to articles 61-67 of the General Statutes for the repose of the soul of Fr. Alfonso Marcelino Moreno, TOR.

Fr. Corpus Izquierdo, TOR

General Secretary

| Exit |


Prot. Nē 9/2004

Subject: Death of Deacon Sabu Vettikottil, T.O.R.
of the Province of the Saint Francis of Assisi, India.


Deacon Sabu Vettikottil, T.O.R.

met with a tragic motor cycle accident on National Highway No. 31 (about 10 Kms. away from Hasimara ) and died on Highway Nē 31 (about 5.30 p.m. After the CRI recollection al Hasimara, Sabu went to Mendabari around 3. 00 p.m. He was returning from Mendabari where he made arrangements for Deanery Marriage Preparation Seminar for 22 couples. According to the statement of the pinion-rider Ajmir Surin who survived with minor injuries, a speeding truck with no tail lights abfuptly applied brake and halted. It was too late to notice and hit the truck. The boy was thrown off. When he got up seeing Sabu profusely bleeding from his forehead rushed to the Satali Parish and called for help. Fr. Albinus Lakra the Parish Priest identified the victim and informed Fr. Aloysius Kattady. Immediately they too rushed Sabu to the nearby Air Force Hospital where the Doctors pronounced him dead. It appears that he died of head injury.

On hearing the sad news, Fr. John Kochuchira, TOR the Minister Provincial of St. Thomas Province and Fr. Thomas Chittookalam, TOR rushed to Hasimara and made every effort to get the post-mortem done and transfer the mortal remains to Gokhla. The last journey of Deacon Sabu began with a Holy Mass at Hasimara Friary on Dec. 14th at 6.00 p.m. which was attended by a large number of parishioners, priest and religious of the region. On 15th Dec. at about 4.00 a.m. the motorcade with the coffin arrived at Franciscan Ashram, Bhagalpur where friars and religious paid their last respect and offered prayers. H. E. Thomas Kozhimala, the Bishop of Bhagalpur presided at Mass of the Christian Death and funeral prayers at Gokhla. Frs. John Kochuchira, Hilarius Barla, Aloysius Kattady and a large number of Priests concelebrated. Deacon Sabu is buried at the Community cemetry at Gokhla.

Sabu Vettikottil was born on 22nd of Aug. 1972 at Padikamvayal in the Parish of Nedumbala. He hails from the Diocese of Mananthavadi in Kerala. Hi is parents Mathew and Margaret are both living. He is the fifth among the four brothers and two sisters. He joined the T. O. R. Minor Seminary at Meenangadi on June 20nd 1991. He made his First Profession on 17nd April, 1995, Solemn Protession on 31 Dec. 2000. He did his B. Th cum B. A. at Suvidya College, Bangalore, B. Th. from St. Albert's College Ranchi, B. A. in Hindustani Music Part 1, 11 & 111 from Yogada Satsang College of Music, Ranchi. He received Dioconate Ordination on 30nd Oct. 2003. His Priestly Ordination was scheduled for May 14nd 2003 in his home-parish.

Deacon Sabu has been well known for his talents in music and sports. He has been a very cheerful and hardworking friar, simple and dedicated in his religious life. He always found time to share his talents in music to a large number of candidates, religious, inmates of Cheshire Home and Radharani Lepers' Home. His melodious numbers in Upahar audio cassette has been highly sought by all.

In his untimely demise, the TOR Fraternity has suffered a great loss and lost a rising star. May the Good Lord grant him Eternal Bliss.

The Minister Provincial and the entire Vice Province fraternity gratefully remember and thank V. Rev Fr. John Kochcuchira, TOR and Fr. Thomas Chittookalam, TOR who spent sleepless nights to render prompt help and personal support to the Friars at Hasimara and to get the body transferred to Gokhla. Special thanks to all Friars, Bishop Thomas Kozhimala, priests, religious and friends who came to support and pray for Sabu. Thanks to Fr. Joseph Ponnembel, TOR and the friars at Meenangadi who consoled the bereaved members of the family.

May our beloved Sabu sing the eternal praises of God in His Heavenly abode !

Please apply the prescribed suffrages according to articles 61-67 of the General Statutes for the repose of the soul of Deacon Sabu Vettikottil, TOR.

Fr. Corpus Izquierdo, TOR

General Secretary

| Exit |